FNPA On Canada's SMR Action Plan
Canada’s Small Modular Reactor (SMR) Roadmap
In partnership with interested provinces, territories and power utilities, Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) convened together to construct a roadmap to engage stakeholders on the future of small modular reactors (SMRs) in Canada. Through a series of expert working groups and workshops held across Canada, the roadmap gathered feedback on the direction possible development and deployment of SMRs in Canada. The SMR Roadmap was released in 2018, and in 2020 NRCan invited additional input for the development of the SMR Roadmap Action plan, which FNPA answered.
First Nations Power Authority (FNPA) developed actions for the SMR Roadmap Action Plan with seven Empowering Opportunities Themes to ensure relationships and an ecological sustainable power system for seven generations.
Each action item from FNPA is noted under one of the seven themes and one or more of the four corresponding SMR Roadmap Pillars:
- Pillar 1: Demonstration and Deployment
- Pillar 2: Policy, Legislation, and Regulation
- Pillar3: Capacity, Engagement, and PublicConfidence
- Pillar 4: International Partnerships and Markets
FNPA SMR Roadmap Action Plan Empowering Opportunities themes are:
- Meaningful Indigenous Engagement
- Honest Discussion: Questions without Fear
- Strong Regulatory Safeguards
- Funding for Indigenous Participation in SMR Projects
- Team Canada includes First Nations & Indigenous Communities
- Talent and Knowledge Development
- Array of Power Options
First Nations Power Authority has prepared 28 SMR Roadmap Action Items under the seven themes noted in the following illustrations.
Want Indigenous involvement in a clean energy future? Contact FNPA for more information: email@example.com, www.fnpa.ca, or 1-855-359-3672.