National SMR Forum with Indigenous Communities
As part of FNPA’s actions for the Small Modular Reactor (SMR) Roadmap, a national forum was planned. The National Small Modular Reactor Virtual Forum brought together Indigenous business and community leaders with industry and government to learn about the future for SMR power, as well as the opportunities for investing and participation in SMR technology ownership.
The National SMR Forum with Indigenous Communities Connections was held via PheedLoop on November 16 and 17, 2020.
FNPA presented a special video on Pathways to Economic Reconciliation featuring:
- FNPA CEO Guy Lonechild, FNPA Chair Felix Thomas, and FNPA team member Darren Huculak
- Charging Bear Performance: Dancers, Singers / Drummers;
- Armand and Havanna McArthur;
- Cowessess First Nation Chief Cadmus Delorme and Lionel Sparvier;
- Bruce Cappo;
- Hon. Seamus O’Regan, Minister of Natural Resources Canada;
- Senator Murray Sinclair;
- Conference Chair Desiree Norwegian.
The Forum included a Special Event on Indigenous Economic Reconciliation with an introduction by Hon. Arlene Dunn, New Brunswick Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Minister responsible for Economic Development and Small Business.
The event keynote address was given by Senator Murray Sinclair past Chief Commissioner of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Followed by a chat with Senator Sinclair moderated by Dr. Ken Coates.
A number of distinguished speakers were part of the National SMR Forum sessions including:
- Paul Lefebvre, the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Natural Resources of Canada;
- Honourable Warren Kaeding, Saskatchewan Minister of Environment;
- Honourable Mike Holland, New Brunswick Minister of Natural Resources and Energy Development;
- Honourable Greg Rickford, Ontario Minister of Energy, Northern Development and Mines, and Minister of Indigenous Affairs.
FNPA National SMR Virtual Forum with Indigenous Communities was a successful event and legacy session videos are available for viewing and reference.