2016 First Nations Energy Forum is a Sold-Out Success!
March 28, 2017
On November 16, 2016, FNPA proudly presented and hosted its 2nd annual First Nations Renewable Energy Forum. Building on the success of the previous year’s Forum, FNPA planned for nearly triple the attendance of the previous year for this year’s Forum. Even with this increased capacity, the event was again sold-out; a wall needed to be taken down and additional tables and chairs set-up for our extra attendees!
Participants represented First Nation Communities, Industry, SaskPower and other supporting agencies. With Premier Brad Wall’s announcement to have “50% renewables by 2030”, Saskatchewan is now positioned as one of the leading markets in North America for renewable energy power development and so FNPA anticipated another full house at this year’s Forum.
The one-day forum focussed on renewable energy and tried to answer who, what, where, when, why and how First Nations can participate in future power and procurement opportunities to provide meaningful, long-term economic benefits and growth. The 2016 First Nations Renewable Energy Forum provided information on:
- Community solar projects
- Distributed Energy: What is it and how does it work?
- Financing renewable energy projects
- Future trends and project opportunities
- Understanding First Nation objectives in the power industry
John Lagimodere, President, ACS Indigenous Consulting Services and Publisher/Editor, Eagle Feather News was the MC for the event. Highlights of the day included:
- Opening Remarks and Welcome from Chief Felix Thomas, Chair, FNPA Board of Directors.
- A presentation about the Global Perspective on Climate Change given by Trevor McLeod, Director of the Centre for Natural Resources Policy, Canada West Foundation. (please click here to view the presentation)
- A video presentation about Canada’s Role in Renewables given by John de Francesco, Director General, Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada.
- An accompanying presentation about Canada’s Role in Renewables given by Doug Zolinsky, Acting/Assistant Deputy Minister and Director General, Western Economic Diversification Canada.
- A presentation about SaskPower’s IPP Strategy for Renewable Energy given by Tim Schuster, Director, IPP & Dev. Planning, Environment & Sustainable Development, SaskPower (please click here to view the presentation)
- A key-note lunch address from Paul Wyman, General Manager, Smart Grid Solutions, Lockheed Martin Canada about the solar demonstration project completed with FNPA and other LMC solar power technology developments and initiatives. (please click here to view the presentation)
- Presentations about First Nation Community Energy Projects given by Colin Asselstine, General Manager, Kluane Development Corporation, Kluane First Nation, Yukon; Chief Jim Leonard, Rainy River First Nation, Ontario; and Vickie Wetchie, General Manager, Green Arrow Corp., Montana First Nation, Alberta.
- An Independent Power Producers (IPP) panel discussion on the National Perspective on IPP Role and Indigenous Procurement. Panelists included Nick Boyd, Vice- President, Business Development and Finance, BluEarth; Peter Clibbon, Director, RES Canada; Marnie Dawson, Project Developer, Renewable Energy, Suncor Energy Inc.; and David Warner, Manager, Development, EDF EN Canada.
- A panel discussion on Legal, Finance & New Equity for Renewable Power Projects with panel members Lorraine Becker, Green Investment Bank; Mac Bell, Director, Fengate Capital; and Shane Freitag, Partner, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP.
FNPA would like to thank all of the event’s sponsors for their support.
FNPA 2016 First Nations Energy Forum Sponsorships
Indigenous Affairs and Northern Development Canada – INAC
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP EDF Energies Nouvelles
Fengate Real Asset Investments Stantec Consultants Ltd.
Friends of FNPA Sponsors:
Renewable Energy Systems Ltd.
The work of planning and preparing for next year’s Forum has already started. Keep checking FNPA’s website for details!
202B Joseph Okemasis Drive
Southern Saskatchewan Office
310 - 2221 Cornwall Street
102 - 718 12th Avenue SW
Toll Free: 1-855-359-3672
SK: 1 (306) 359-3672
AB: 1 (587) 574-3672
Fax: 1 (306) 359-3671